The Tent of Meeting Prayer Model
Does such a 24/7 prayer community on your campus seem like an impossible dream? It can happen…and it’s not as formidable a task as you might think. Check out this simple, straightforward model that would involve more than 600 people in 24/7 prayer without laying an undue burden on any of the participants. Here’s how to get started….
- Commit to serve as/recruit a Tent of Meeting Coordinator. This person will lead, cast vision, and administrate the 24/7 prayer vision.
- The Tent of Meeting Coordinator then mobilizes seven Day Captains, one for each day of the week.
- Each Day Captain then mobilizes 8 Prayer Watch Captains. (One captain per each three-hour watch)
- Each Prayer Watch Captain then mobilizes ten people to cover that particular three-hour watch. Ideally, the ten are praying together for the whole watch.
- Each day the Prayer Watch Captains relay what their groups hear from the Lord to the Day Watch Captain.
- Each Day Watch Captain notes significant themes from that day’s watch and relays the information to the Tent of Meeting Coordinator.
- Once a week, the Tent of Meeting Coordinator and the Day Watch Captains meet to pray and seek the Lord’s direction, based on what the various watches have heard from the Lord.
This model would cover all 168 hours of the week in continuous prayer with more than 600 people participating. No undue burden would be placed on any one person…the minimum requirement would be three hours per week. And, imagine the impact of such a concerted prayer focus on your college or university campus!
56 Watches (10 people per watch) = 560 people
Prayer Watch Captains (8 per day) = 56 people
Day Watch Captains (1 per day) = 7 people
Tent of Meeting Coordinator (1) = 1 person
SOI 21 gratefully acknowledges a message by Rolland Smith in 1994 that inspired this Tent of Meeting prayer model.